SharePoint is a great tool, but it can be very tedious to access its data via the normal SharePoint web interface. What if you could access your data similar to how Google Drive and Dropbox work, right from My Computer? Well, you can, via SharePoint Workspace (previously known as Microsoft Groove).
Once done here, learn how to access your SharePoint Workspace files from your PC.
In this example, we’ll be using SharePoint Workspace to easily access our Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint site. Note that I have a full installation of Microsoft Office 2010 on my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit PC.
- Log into your SharePoint site.
- Click on Site Actions->Sync to SharePoint Workspace.
- If this is the first time you’ve used SharePoint Workspace, you’ll need to create a new account. Click Next.
- Enter your name and email to use with SharePoint Workspace. Ensure you can recover the account later if needed. Click Finish.
- SharePoint Workspace will open. Click Ok.
- Next, SharePoint Workspace will begin synchronizing. You can click Close to hide the window–the sync will continue.