You performed a Bare Metal Restore (BMR) of a Windows 2008+ server via AppAssure (AA) but the server won’t boot. You may have restored to another physical box or a VM. You see the error: “Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.”
This is actually to be expected. A BMR of Windows 2008+ via AA requires a few additional steps to get the rescued image working. Specifically, you need to perform a Startup Repair.
- Boot the restored server with your Windows Server installation CD.
- Instead of installing Windows, choose the Repair option.
- You may see the System Recovery Options showing no operating system, as shown below.
- Click Next.
- Start a Command Line prompt and run:
X:> cd Sources
X:> bootrec /rebuildbcd
- Reboot the server back into the installation CD.
- Repeat the above so you get back to the System Recovery Options screen. You should now see your Windows OS installation.
- Select it and click Next.
- Let the Startup Repair fix the OS.
- Reboot back into the OS. It should now work.