You are running Exchange 2010 and need to create a new user mailbox.
Previously in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003, you could do this simply via Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC). That is no longer the case. Now, you must create your user account in ADUC and then create a mailbox for the new AD user using the Exchange Management Console (EMC).
- Create your AD user per normal via ADUC. Do not try to create an Exchange mailbox in ADUC.
- Log into a Windows systems running EMC, whether an Exchange server or your desktop.
- Start EMC.
- Click on Microsoft Exchange->Microsoft Exchange On-Premises->Recipient Configuration->Mailbox.
- Click New Mailbox in the Actions Pane on the right.
- The New Mailbox wizard will appear. Select User Mailbox and click Next.
- For User Type, click Existing Users.
- Click the Add icon.
- EMC will search and show AD users without a Mailbox. Select the desired user and click Ok.
- You will return to the User Type screen. Click Next.
- The Mailbox Setting screen will appear. Notice that we are allowing Exchange to determine the mailstore to use. You may wish to override that setting via the “Specify the mailstore..” option.
- Click Next.
- The Wizard will confirm its setting. Click New.
- The Results screen will appear. Verify that the operation completed successfully!
- Click Finish.