You are using Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8 and would prefer the Start Menu and Desktop rather than the Metro interface.
This is a common need. Not everybody likes the Metro interface.
You can solve this issue using Win8 StartButton. It’s very simple to install, but be sure to use the Custom Installation and not the Typical Installation to ensure you don’t get a bunch of unnecessary add-ons installed on your PC.
- Log into your Windows 8 or Windows 2012 server.
- Download Win8 StartButton.
- Start the installation program.
- Choose Custom Installation.
- Deselect all options other than Windows Start Button and Start Menu and Launch “Desktop Mode” upon computer restart.
- Click Finish.
For a Windows 2012 Terminal Server, you’ll want to tweak Win8 StartButton and then create a GPO to update User Registry settings on the TS so you have Win8 StartButton globally defined.
Thanks to SysProbs for the information. They also have a more graphical HOWTO for installing Win8 StartButton.