You’re trying to manage your Symantec Endpoint Protection using the Protection Center but it is failing shortly after logon and the Symantec Protection Center services is crashing
You may need to change the amount of memory available to Java for SEP.
- Enable additional Tomcat logging, per Symantec Support, by editing C:Program FilesSymantecSymantec Endpoint Protection Managertomcatetcconf.properties and adding the following line:
- Restart the Symantec Protection Center service and recreate the issue.
- Review C:Program FilesSymantecSymantec Endpoint Protection Managertomcatlogsscm-server-0.log; you should see an error similar to the following:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
If not, this procedure will not resolve the issue.
- Per Symantec Support, increase the heap size limits for the Java VM:
- Stop the Symantec Protection Center service
- Open regedit and navigate to HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicessemsrvParameters
- Right-click the Parameters key and export it to a .reg file to backup the old settings
- Modify the following values:
JVM Option Number 0=-Xms1024m
JVM Option Number 1=-Xmx1024m
JVM Option Number 2=-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=40
JVM Option Number 3=-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=70
- Restart the Symantec Protection Center service
- You should now be able to login and use the console like normal