You find that your Windows Server won’t update via Windows Updates Services. You see error 80072EFD.
One issue which causes Windows Updates to fail with error 80072EFD is if the Windows Server is looking at itself or another Server on the network for the updates.
To check this:
- Click Start > Run > type “regedit” without the quotes, and accept the UAC prompt to continue
- Navigate to HKLMSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate
- Look at the keys in that folder, if they look something like this:
If this entries are listed under that folder, backup then delete the WindowsUpdate folder
- Right-click on the folder and select “export” to save.
- Delete the “WindowsUpdate” key from the registry at HKLMSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindows.
- Restart the Windows Update service. (located in Start > Run > type “services.msc” without quotes)